
The other day there were some little girls selling girl scout cookies in the library. I bought my annual box of samoas and thought that would be the end of it. I love samoas but really one box a year is quite enough for me I must also preface this story with the fact that all summer I worked retail at Del Sol in St. Thomas. My group actually increased the sales of our store so much that they decided to open 6 new stores based on the fact that they knew their new product Cariloha could sell. Naturally I figure that means I am a good sales person. I feel that I'm pretty friendly and I can usually make a sale.
However, today I got absolutely SCHOOLED in salesmanship by a six year old. Today I was subbing a second grade class. At recess I was sitting on a bench watching the kids. Suddenly this little girl shyly approaches me and says may I sit on this bench? I of course said oh yes please do. Then slowly but surely she starts scooting my way like a boy on a first date trying to stretch and sneakily put his arm around the girl. Suddenly this shy little girl not so shyly starts releasing the ultimate sales technique: Adorable little girl. She asked so cutely, "would you be interested in some girl scout cookies?" As I didn't want anymore I quickly began devising a plan to send her on her way without making her feel bad. Unfortunately this girl completely outwitted every single one of my excuses. I attempted an "oh thanks but i just don't have any money today," she countered with an "actually we give you three days to get the money so don't worry you can pay later." Then I attempted "oh well do we have to fill out any forms?" thinking she wouldn't have any. She came back with a "well not a whole form, just a half of a form really, all we need is your name and how many cookies you want. I've got some in the room" Then she even took it one step farther. She knew what teacher I was subbing for and asked if I would please ask Mrs. Abbott if she would like some cookies as well. At this point I really didn't want any but how in the world do you say no to this little girl????? She was trying so hard. I told her I would buy some and that I would ask Mrs. Abbott but she could come by after school because Mrs. Abbott would be back. As I was only working until 12 I saw my out, she would go after school and I wouldn't be there.
I know i'm already chastising myself for being a shmuck. Seriously who tries to sneak out of buying them like that.... ya me.... it was really bad. So to end the story I didn't buy any from this little budding saleswoman. However, I feel SO BAD that I think I'm going to have to go back to the school tomorrow and buy some from her. She tried so hard and I just can't stop guilt tripping myself for sneaking out of it. I seriously hope this girl pursues a career in sales, she was so impressive in her technique and sincere desire to sell some cookies. I suppose I'll be coming home tomorrow with a few varieties of girl scout cookies. Getting someone to come all the way back the next day for something they really don't want..... Now that's some sales skills. :)
3 comments:
You can't say no. They get you. Right there. :)
This is hilarious. I don't think I could say no either. adorable little girl definitely is the ultimate sales technique! The tagalongs are really good :)
we had some adorable little girls post a flier on our door for dog walking. They were such good saleswomen on their flier that we sincerely wished we had a dog for them to walk. They were charging $.25 for a small dog $.50 for a medium sized dog and $1.00 for a large dog. "The faster you call, the healthier your dog will get!" how can you say no to that?
Oh my gosh jenny thats so cute! How funny they even had a little slogan haha
Post a Comment