Friday, March 5, 2010

Gobstoppers and Roald Dahl



Today I got gobstoppers and gummy rainbow frogs. They brought me back to candy i ate as a kid and reminded me of those smartie suckers we used to get at the hospital. I really enjoy gobstoppers, they are so happy and make me wish I really could go to Wonka's Chocolate Factory. Charlie and the Chocolate factory was one of my absolute favorite books as a child. In fact I would go so far as to say Roald Dahl is my favorite author of all time. I do believe I read Matilda twelve times in one school year, yes i really loved it that much. As a matter of fact i do believe i have read every Roald Dahl book ever written. We read the Twits yesterday in my 3rd grade class and I was reminded just how genius Dahl really is. He started the book with:

"If a person has ugly thoughts, it begins to show on the face. And when that person has ugly thoughts every day, every week, every year, the face gets uglier and uglier until you can hardly bear to look at it.

A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts it will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely."
— Roald Dahl (The Twits)

That quote is so great! I thought of it today as i started to think of a few mean things about people walking on campus. So in an attempt to not have an ugly face i tried to block them out of my head. I think i need to do that more often, Here goes trying :)

So this post really has nothing to do with anything. Just some good thoughts about candy and an awesome author :D I think I will attempt to start a collection of some of my favorite childhood books starting with Roald Dahl, most likely moving on to Bernstein bears and Dr. Seuss.... But seriously Roald Dahl is so cool.... you should read them :)

2 comments:

Chess said...

That's a fantastic quote!

Michelle said...

That is so funny, just last night I was talking to the 10 year old that I nanny about how great Ron Dahle is!