Thursday, October 7, 2010

sometimes, i just hate holiday seasons

I have a theory (spin off of proverbs) when it comes to sports and other activities. Here it is, everything in its season, and everything in its place. This means there is no reason to go camping in the winter (yes boy scouts your ice cave/snow fort adventures are stupid) if you want to go climbing, just do it in the summer (ice climbing??? Yikes) if its too cold to run a river/go boating in march, don't buy dry suits and crazy warm water gear (yes both father and father in law are the culprits of this :), love you both though!) just wait till it's summer time. Anyway i think you get the point. So that is why i sometimes hate holidays... not the holiday themselves, but all of the two months before it happens starting decorating and getting ready to celebrate type things. I heard on the radio two commercials for Christmas, both saying something to the effect of "too early to start thinking about Christmas?" I wanted to scream yes at the radio, rip it from the wall and smash it. I know i'm kind of violent in my head sometimes, i won't ever do it though don't worry. I hate how we can't even enjoy the holidays we're in because of Christmas, it takes over our lives every year. I love thanksgiving, probably my favorite holiday, yet it gets bypassed by all of the Christmas fanatics out there. If you are one of those people in my immediate or extended family or blog reader, please know i have nothing against you and still love you very much! Its all the others that go crazy that I don't like. Can we not just enjoy Halloween and thanksgiving without having to listen to crappy holiday music in november???? can I just enjoy my fall months without having to hear Christmas ads on October 1st????? IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK????? Please can we remember what all of these holidays are about and just enjoy them, not have to run around frantically buying presents and listening to horrible music and all of the obnoxious things that happen with Christmas in November (Please note all of the above is 100% acceptable in mid December, just not in October or November). Last year when Brandon and I were still in our awkward we're not REALLY dating phase decided we didn't know what to do for Christmas for each other. I borrowed an idea that my brother and his in-law siblings do, they get an angel tree and buy gifts for that and go shopping together and dinner and that's how they give each other presents. I decided that we would do this with Jenny and her boyfriend and it was seriously so fun! Do you know how liberating it was to not have to stress about gifts and just worry about helping a little boy, your shopping list is done because they just tell you what they want, much easier. Plus we got to just spend time together and make cookies and have fun. We still talk about how much fun it was to buy our little 7th grade boy science kits and experiments, shoes and a book. I got him Redwall which I thought was special to share my favorite child hood book with him. That's what Christmas is about. Not buying your christmas cards in October (Radio!), not frantically buying gifts that people may or may not want...  just spending time together and enjoying your family and how everyone is happy. So i know this won't change anyone's mind or change the commercialization of holidays but it sure makes me feel better to rant about it :) Sorry my blog is always ranting!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

I love your ranting and I 100% agree. I love love Christmas but I also love love Halloween and love love Thankgiving. No need to start celebrating Christmas before December.