Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween

My mother is the best costume maker. She can come up with anything out of nothing and make it look awesome. When I was a little girl I was often more of a victim of this than beneficiary (or so I thought). Examples: when all the other little girls were princesses, I was a bat (i made her sew sequins on the front so it wasn't boyish) a stuffed fat pumpkin, a scarecrow, and the all time big one... Miss piggy. Yes my mother zipped me in this fluffy dress, stuffed pink tights with batting so I'd have fat piggy legs, plastered on these blue fake eyelashes, a horrible yellow wig and gasp: a pig nose. The worst part is I think I was actually excited to be all of these things. Then I'd get to school and inevitably some little girl had a coveted princess costume from the Disney store in Fashion Place mall and I was seriously wishing I could take back the moment I ever said "ya mom miss piggy, that'll be great!" When ever it was dress up day I was always the most decked out... sometimes the only one (4th grade cowboy day) It was traumatic to a young girl. In high school my mother still dressed me up to the nines for any day that required some form of costume. I was old enough to say no yet for some reason I still went along with it! I was an awesome old time photographer (only required one prop... ya I had an ENTIRE outfit) harriet beecher stowe, disco queen. I'm not kidding when I say these costumes were amazing... they were straight up legit. Then I got to college and apparently inherited my mothers love of costume making, I went all out every halloween and sewed myself an awesome costume. Ok so I did make myself a snow white costume in high school... apparently I didn't mind embracing the fact that I'm a dork. I made both of these
I have a plethora of other ones I've made including some for jenny. Whether its actually sewing the or just coming up with them from a conglomeration I love making costumes. This will be the first year I'm not making a Halloween costume :( Lack of motivation and time I guess... but one year I made two so I think I'll just use one of the ones I only wore to work. When I made my Snow White costume it was about 4 days before halloween.... I called my grandma and asked her for help and if I could use her machine and she said "you mean for next year right?" Who knows maybe I'll go crazy and whip something up last minute. Problem is we don't know what to do for Halloween. Whats the point of having a costume with nowhere to go? I don't think anyone at work will dress up.. whatever shall I do?

1 comment:

Brittany said...

You are so talented! Really... I wish I could sew. Maybe then our little family would have some Halloween costumes for our work Halloween party. Maybe I'll call your mom for some ideas. I love that lady!