Sunday, May 2, 2010
Arizona Immigration
Everyone is going crazy about the new Arizona immigration crack down, so I'm going to put in my two cents. I think that they have a great idea, cracking down on illegal immigration is good, they should enforce the laws but they are going about it in not so nice a way. I think if you are legal then you have nothing to fear, but it still puts those people under a lot of pressure. I think the problem with it is they say its for anyone who they reasonably suspect is illegal. The sad part about that is they essentially will look at anyone who's Hispanic looking and say your a suspect. I think of a lot of my cousins who live in Arizona who are of Hispanic decent but were born in this country, they are totally legal, will they be asked to provide documentation? Honestly who carries around documentation? I guess everyone will need to start, but guaranteed no white people will be asked to provide it under suspicion. I feel bad for the people that are here legally, they will probably be targeted. However, I do agree with Arizona's attempt to enforce immigration laws. If someone wants to come into the country they should be welcome, just do it legally. We've been talking a lot about illegal immigration in my Political science class and its very very difficult to immigrate to the US. However it seems like people will try anyway so we decided as a class the best thing to do was make it easier to immigrate because they will probably come anyway so might as well make them pay taxes etc. We also talked about a guest worker program and (I think the best one) crack down on the employers who hire illegals. If they want to stop it, stop providing the reasons to come here, if they can't get work because its illegal, they probably won't come. If Arizona wants to help stop illegal immigration I say more power to them, they really should, it's good someone is taking a stand. However, it seems like they could do it in a better way. I'm not entirely against the new law but I also think its sad and discriminatory. People that come over are generally not criminals, they may be breaking the law but usually its out of desperation. They want a better life and they are still people, not animals. Immigration is a hard thing because I understand that we can't just accept everyone because they're country kind of sucks. I guess the sympathizer in me just wants to help people. One last thing and then I'll be done, a large large chunk of illegal immigrants are from Asia and other parts of the world. The problem in Arizona is the major portion of illegals are from Mexico so its just so obviously targeting them. Its unfair to just say that a person looks suspect. Maybe it would be better to just say anyone the law enforcement deals with like pulling over or whatever has to provide documentation. Everyone should need to provide it and that doesn't lead to this discrimination and suspicion problem. Oh well maybe it will be a really good thing or they won't be as discriminatory as we think. I say go Arizona, but could you find a nicer more PC way to do it?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment