Wednesday, April 6, 2011

dear 50's women, I understand you a tiny bit better

So these past few weeks I've been a stay at home wife. I have been unpacking and trying to stay as busy as possible because you want to know something? staying at home isn't that fun. I went from being on a team, working full time, and feeling needed in a work environment to working in my own home. Its a huge change, one I didn't expect to take so hard. Before we got married and I was still in school I thought it would be pretty great to stay home but once I got a full time job I realized I loved it. Even though you don't have as much time for your own personal hobbies and you can't do whatever you want it's nice being needed at a job and bringing home a paycheck. Now that my house is pretty much unpacked and ready I've just been looking for jobs. It's very draining filling out the same information job after job application but I've been trying to apply for a lot and really keep all of my options open. It's amazing how being unemployed has created these feelings of self doubt and really needing to give myself praise for the things I've been doing because I don't have a boss or a paycheck to tell me I'm doing a good job. I was very sad for a few days but now that I'm actively looking for jobs and at schooling it's making me a lot happier. I'm ready to dive in and get back to work. I probably shouldn't have shared all that, oh well it's nice to write out my feelings.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Good luck! Love you!

Chess said...

I kinda know how you feel. I'm going to start massage therapy school in August, so it will feel so good to be a student again! Good luck with everything!!

Nicky said...

im know how you feel!!!!!!!! i have been staying at home packing up and driving back and forth from rock springs to fort collins(a 4 hour drive!) at least 2 times a week! i would KILL to go back to work but no one want to hire a 6 1/2 month prego girl who is going to quit in 2 months...its sooo annoying! it sucks...GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOB HUNT!!!!

Jenny said...

I definitely know what that feels like! On all of our moves I have been in this stage as I look for a job and it is hard! Very easy to feel like you're not contributing and have feelings of guilt. Now that I have Koala, those feelings have been wiped away which is such a blessing. But I think being a woman and figuring out the way that *YOU* can make the best contribution to your family (whether working outside the home or not) is hard!