Thursday, November 18, 2010

scrapbooking mania!

Our dining room table has looked like this since Veterans day... and that picture is a cleaned up version. As you can tell by the title and maybe by the picture I have become a scrapbooker, well at least until this wedding album is done and then probably won't be again until the next big event. I'm awful at dealing with pictures and I'm even worse at decorating so try and put those two together onto one page and its usually disastrous. My usual photo albums (ok I haven't had one sine i was like 14 so i guess I can't really say usual) consisted of 4 pictures to a page with some scribbles describing the picture. About two years ago I had this little revelation that I needed to start a photo album... I took Jenny to the store because she knows about these things, became incredibly overwhelmed and ignored the revelation flat out. Well On Veterans day that same little prompting hit me again... you need to make a scrapbook album with your wedding pictures. I know I'm such a nerd thinking the Lord wants me to make a scrapbook album but it's important and who knows, I may need it one day. On Veterans day we had the day off of work but Brandon still had to go to school so I had most of the day to myself. I thought about inviting some of the scrapbooking experts in my family/friends but I knew I had to go it alone if I was going to get anything done. Armed with a whole lot of will power, several veterans day coupons, a paper cut out of a 4 by 6 picture and a 5 by 7 picture so i could test them against the papers i headed off to the stores. Oh boy was I in for it! I once again found myself staring in wonder like a little lost child... I mean does anyone actually know what all those tools do?  Do you seriously need to choose from 30 different types of sticky glue dots?? I just chose the prettiest purple looking one. If it had been the sewing isle i think i would have understood, i know what all those tools do but this scrapbooking stuff is total mystery. I only knew one thing... I wanted something simple, something i could put on an end table, and it had to be something that someone with NO scrapbooking skills could do. A ridiculous amount of money (which I will not disclose because its very embarrassing) and 3 stores later i went home to start my wonderful scrapbook. Next problem, i had about 300 pictures (narrowed down from 3,000) to go through and choose which ones I wanted. I felt like the Lord  was driving me all day though because I got all of the supplies, went through all the pictures and completed 6 pages all in a just a few hours. I stayed motivated all day and I was so proud of myself. For someone who would be just as happy putting pictures in a pile on the end table and calling it a day it was like something had come over me, things were just popping out to me and i knew exactly what to get and how i was going to put this sucker together. I even went home and proudly told Brandon what a good scrapbooker I was and how excited I was and that I thought I was really good at this whole scrapbooking thing. He was very gracious and looked at everything I had bought and told me that of course I am an excellent scrapbooker :) Well about 6 pages in I realized I was out of ideas, my inspiration was lost and lets face it, I didn't magically get mad scrapbooking skills. Regardless I've been going at it an hour or so a night ever since then. Yes, I only can do 8 by 8 pages because thats about all my creativity can handle. Yes, almost all of my pages look the same, and yes, each page has like one thing fancy about it but I'm dang proud of it :). I am almost done and probably have about 30 pages left which will then probably be the last time I do this until we have a baby or something. I will post pictures when its done, until then, wish this hopeless scrapbooker a lot of luck and creativity.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Whit, as someone who loves to scrapbook and STILL has a very hard time getting motivated or inspired to do it i say WAY TO GO!! I cant wait to see it!