Saturday, March 12, 2011
cna class week one
This week was the first week of my 2 week CNA class. I really like it so far. It's really not hard, just a lot of common sense and being careful. I learned to take vital signs and i'm trying to practice on everyone i know! Speaking of, step right up if you want your pulse taken, your respiration monitored, and your blood pressure taken :). I'm nervous for clinicals the week after next but hopefully by then I will be confident in my new skills. It seems kind of hard when your watching or reading the book but then when I actually do it it's really not that bad. Yesterday we did transfers or moving someone from their bed to a wheelchair and vice versa. Not being an actress its a little embarrassing to role play and i feel a little stupid especially with people you don't know but once I got over that its really not so bad. I feel like I'm in highschool again doing group work and sitting there for 7 hours a day. Can i just tell you how much better college is for that very reason! You only have to go to class for like 3 hours a day and that can be at any point in the day, its awesome! So yesterday I was eating lunch in the classroom like i have been and reading through my book. I suddenly felt a little nauseous and like i wanted to spew that PBJ i was eating right back up. Then i looked at the opposite page of what i was reading and actively realized that i was staring and these gaping flesh wound pressure sores while eating Jelly. The light came on, maybe i should turn the page rather than stare at bleeding wounds while eating jelly, Jelly, bloody muscle exposed above the skin... pretty similar items. Sure enough i shut my book and instantly felt better. Lesson learned: It's not too bad to look at wounds until you mix in food! We've also learned how to properly make beds without spreading contaminants, how to change the sheets and make a bed with somebody still in it, transfers, assisted falls, and yes several gross things that i won't bring up here and just hope like heck i can do it when it comes time. Like I said, most of its just common sense you just have to learn the proper techniques and then remember to use them. I hope I like it as a job and the good thing is it has peaked my interest enough that I still think I want to go on to nursing. Guess we'll see :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so excited for you Whit! You are going to be an amazing CNA!!!
Post a Comment